Sunday, September 11, 2016

Remembering 9/11

Where were you when the Twin Towers fell? My youngest son got up sick that morning, so he stayed home from school while my husband drove me to the middle school in Webster, Texas. On the way, the radio broadcaster announced an airplane had just hit one of the Twin Towers. I turned to my husband and said, "He shouldn't say things like that! People will think it's real, like War of the Worlds." Quickly, we realized the tragedy was real.

The middle school I worked at was about 1/4 mile NASA. Lots of my seventh grade students had parents who worked at NASA. Although most of the students showed up for classes, none were focused enough to do regular class work. We made use of class times by having real discussions over the tragic event. In fact, a teacher down the hall from me was married to one of President Bush's Secret Service agents. Even though the incident took place in New York City, 9/11 hit too close to home for all of us. 

On 9/11, take time to remember those who helped save the lives of others, along with those who perished and their surviving family members. 


In remembrance, 
Beth, Educator Helper



If you were President of the United States, how would you react to national and world events?









Click here to get the complete set of presidential writing prompts!

No comments: