Sunday, July 21, 2013

Parents' Day is July 28

Parents' Day was established in 1994 by former president Bill Clinton to "recognize, uplift, and support the role of parents in the raising of children." Personally, I did not know Parents' Day existed, and I'm wondering how many other educators were aware of the holiday. In what ways can we celebrate Parents' Day?

My parents taught me to "do a job right the first time", to "treat others as I expect to be treated", and to "help those in need". All are great rules to live by! And, I hope I have passed these rules on to my children. What life rules did your parents instill in you?

I have many things to thank my parents for: a "roof over my head", essentials needed to be successful in life, and good, sound advice--if I had only listened "sooner rather than later"! What do you have to "thank" your parents for when it comes to advice?

As educators, we are similar to parents, and many of us take on the role of parent in the classroom. We teach students to be courteous and respectful. We teach students to "listen and learn". We help students overcome and work through classroom learning and social problems. We encourage students to "do their best" and motivate them to "pursue their dreams". Educators are definitely surrogate parents.

Therefore, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Parents' Day!















No comments: